While this role is not currently open, The GIST is constantly evolving and changing. We love having a roster of writers that we can work with on a freelance basis, with the intention of moving into a more permanent part-time or full-time role.
Ready to help level the playing field? The GIST is looking for a knowledgable, passionate and witty college sports fan to join our newsletter team. If you’re interested in joining a collaborative team environment and flexing your sports writing muscles, we want to hear from you.
In this role you’ll have a significant impact on The GIST’s newsletter product, ideating, pitching and writing sports news content, college sports content or sports business content.
The GIST is a women-founded startup that puts its fans at the center. We create content that’s inclusive to all sports fans, mainly through our free, localized 4x-weekly sports news newsletter, 3x-weekly sports biz newsletter, 3x-weekly college sports newsletter, daily social media and twice-weekly podcast, The GIST of It.
Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Since launching across North America in September 2019, our community has grown to over 1.2M+ GISTers, we have worked with brands like the NBA, FanDuel and Nike, and our co-founding team was named to Forbes 30 Under 30 2020.
Want to put your hat in the ring to support our newsletter nights (Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings)? We hope so.
What you’ll be doing
- Writing content for The GIST’s sports news, college sports or sports biz newsletters in accordance with The GIST’s editorial standards and brand voice
- Work will include up to four sections
- Writing conference-specific or city-specific sections sections
- Selecting which regionalized sports stories will be featured in the newsletter
- Working closely with The GIST’s developmental editor, fellow regional writers and editors, and national newsletter team
- Contributing creative ideas to continually improving The GIST
- Opportunity to contribute to other GIST content channels
- Opportunity to write longer-form articles, guides, deep dives and interviews
- Opportunity to grow into a bigger role with The GIST
What you’ll need
- Writing/communications experience of at least two years
- Experience writing newsletters/short form content is an asset
- Experience writing in a brand voice is an asset
- Undergraduate degree
- Degree in Journalism, Editing, English, Sports Media or a similar field is considered an asset
- Degree in Business, Management, Sports Business is also an asset of sports biz
- A flexible Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday night (in ET) schedule, because sports
- Proficiency in writing with the American Style Guide
- Exceptional writing, spelling and grammar skills
- A strong understanding of and passion/intuition for sports
- You must be able to contextualize, distill and curate sports content
We’re looking for someone who...:
- Is calm as a cucumber under pressure and is able to react quickly to breaking news
- Is an avid sports fan who’s able to sift through the the news and pick and provide context on the most important stories
- For sports biz, also has a strong understanding of business jargon, economics, entrepreneurship, valuations, etc.
- Is witty, with a great sense of humor
- Has strong journalistic integrity including fact-checking
- Has experience working toward a deadline, and can work quickly and efficiently
- Has a collaborative and sports-loving spirit
- Must value hard-work and teamwork
- Passionate about leveling the playing field in the sports industry
- A quick and resourceful learner who can thrive in a fast-paced, evolving startup setting and is able to grow with the company
What we offer
- The opportunity to be part of a women-founded and operated, hard-working, growing and fun team that is looking to level the playing field in the sports industry
- An opportunity to write about and cover a broad spectrum of sports and cities
- An opportunity to grow as a writer and into a larger role with The GIST
- Competitive wage
- Flexible vacation
Are you picking up what we’re putting down? We hope so. So, what’s next?
Write us a newsletter. You read that right. We want you to write a college, sports news or sports biz newsletter. We want to see what your GIST newsletter would be like without our influence.
Your newsletter must include:
- 3 sections
- Each section should be no more than 300 words (the shorter the better)
- The GIST Pick’s
Choose the day you send us a newsletter. Please send to us anytime between 6-10 a.m. ET.
Your newsletter should cover the recent events in sports or sports business, as well as preview what’s to come. It’s highly suggested you write the newsletter the night before, and schedule your email for the next morning.
Send the newsletter to email@example.com with the subject line of: The GIST - Writer 2023 - Your Name.
After that, we’ll be requesting resumes from candidates who wrote our fave newsletters. Candidates with the best newsletters and most applicable resumes based on the qualifications above will be asked to do a remote interview.
Here are some newsletter-writing tips:
- Subscribe to The GIST to see what our newsletter is like.
- Use a recent newsletter as a guideline for you. We want to see if you can write in The GIST’s brand voice.
- If you want to write city-specific or conference-specific content, choose the city you want to write for, but remember the city/conference news should only be one section. The rest of the newsletter should be U.S.-based news that everyone in the country would care about.
- The newsletter should not be longer than 1,200 words total.
The GIST is strongly committed to diversity and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
The GIST strives to make our entire hiring process as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities. For any recruitment related accommodation needs and/or requests please contact us via e-mail.