The GIST is a fan-first sports media brand that's shaking up the male-dominated sports industry. We want to reinvent the dialogue around sports by providing equal coverage to women's and men's sports. Whether you catch our newsletter, podcast, or social posts — our fun, digestible content is for all types of fans.
Who we are
We don’t just keep pace, we’re ahead of the game. Fan-first content goes beyond the highlights, addressing new subjects and perspectives that have often been ignored. We’re looking at the sports landscape through a wider lens that acknowledges its full cultural impact.
Our community is what drives us. GISTers are not just sports fans, they’re here for what sports can be — an inclusive and empowering community made for everyone. Aligned with our mission, they’re looking for progress, and that’s what we never stop striving for.
We keep our content straightforward and digestible. Not every topic in sports is light (looking at you, pay equity!), but speaking fan-to-fan means we're succinct and accessible, which is what our GISTers love most about us.
Launched in 2019 by three college friends — Jacie deHoop, Ellen Hyslop and Roslyn McLarty — The GIST is all about changing the game in the male-dominated sports industry where less than 15% of journalists are women and less than 5% of coverage is on female athletes and non-binary folks. Our 40-person team works day in and day out to change those stats.
What we do
Think of us as your witty, sports-obsessed best friend. We’re a multimedia destination that's made by and for sports fans who don’t fit (or maybe don’t want to fit) the traditional avid sports fan mold. We connect with our growing community of 1 million GISTers through our:
- Get "the gist" of what's going on in the sports world in less than 5 minutes every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday morning in our localized 4x-weekly sports newsletter.
- Interested in the business of women's sports? Try our 3x-weekly sports biz newsletter.
- Big college sports fan? Our 3x-weekly college sports newsletter has you covered.
Podcast, The GIST of It
- Twice a week hosts Ellen Hyslop and Stephanie Rotz discuss current sports topics and how they intersect with pop culture and social issues, covering everything from season previews to calling out the sexist BS we see in sports daily. Expect a hilarious yet informative conversation with a refreshing female perspective on the world of sports.
- We're helping women & non-binary folks find work in sports with our job board. All companies and roles are vetted by us, so you can trust that only the best organizations and opportunities will make the cut.
Daily social media