While this role is not currently open, The GIST is constantly evolving and changing. We love having a roster of writers that we can work with on a freelance basis, with the intention of moving into a more permanent part-time or full-time role.
Ready to help level the playing field? The GIST is looking for a knowledgeable, passionate and detail-oriented sports fan to join our content team. If you’re interested in joining a collaborative team environment and flexing your sports knowledge muscles we want to hear from you.
In this role you’ll have a significant impact on The GIST’s newsletters, fact-checking and providing feedback to our writers. Accuracy of information is vital.
The GIST is a women-founded startup that puts its fans at the center. We create content that’s inclusive to all sports fans, mainly through our free, localized 4x-weekly sports news newsletter, 3x-weekly sports biz newsletter, 3x-weekly college sports newsletter, daily social media and twice-weekly podcast, The GIST of It.
Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Since launching across North America in September 2019, our community has grown to over 1.2M+ GISTers, we have worked with brands like the NBA, FanDuel and Nike, and our co-founding team was named to Forbes 30 Under 30 2020.
Want to put your hat in the ring to support our newsletter nights (Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings)? We hope so.
What you’ll be doing
- Fact checking The GIST’s college, sports news or sports biz newsletters on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings (ET) in accordance with The GIST’s editorial standards
- Double-checking scores, statistics, spelling, dates, times and other miscellaneous facts to ensure accuracy and journalistic integrity
- Performing the final review and edits of the newsletter in The GIST’s email service provider, Campaign Monitor, before it’s scheduled to be sent out
- In some cases, schedule campaign when needed
- Work closely with The GIST’s newsletter writers, editors, operations associate and HOC
- Opportunity to fact-check and edit other GIST content including special editions and Sunday Scrolls
- Contributing to the constant upgrade and improvement of our editorial guidelines
- Have the opportunity to edit additional content including branded content, longer-form articles, guides, deep dives and interviews
- Have the opportunity to grow into a bigger role with The GIST
- Other duties as required
What you’ll need
- Fact-checking or editing experience of at least two years is preferred
- Experience fact-checking or editing in a newsroom setting is an asset
- Experience fact-checking or editing sports journalism is an asset
- Undergraduate degree in Journalism, Editing, English or a similar field
- A flexible Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday night schedule, because sports
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is an expert on writing with the American Style Guide
- Is exceptionally detail-oriented
- Loves and values research
- Has strong journalistic integrity
- Loves grammar
- Is a skilled communicator who’s able to provide constructive feedback
- Has strong sports knowledge and intuition
- Has a collaborative and sports-loving spirit
- Has experience working toward a deadline, and can work quickly and efficiently
- Values hard work and teamwork
- Is a quick and resourceful learner who can thrive in a fast-paced, evolving startup setting and is able to grow with the company
What we offer
- A great role on a female-founded, hard-working, growing and fun team that is looking to level the playing field in the sports industry
- An opportunity to improve The GIST’s key product, our newsletter
- The ability to create content across a broad spectrum of sports
- An opportunity to grow as a fact-checker and researcher, and potentially into a larger role with The GIST
- A competitive wage and flexible vacation
Are you picking up what we’re putting down? We hope so. So, what’s next?
Send us your resume as well as short (~ two sentence) answers to the questions below to email@example.com. Please use the subject line: The GIST - Fact Checker 2023 - Your Name.
- Why would you be an asset to The GIST?
- What are the three most important things to look for while editing/fact checking content?
- In reading our newsletters, are there any bigger picture edits that you would have suggested had you been the editor? Or have you noticed anything that we consistently do that you would do differently?
Candidates with the most applicable answers and resumes based on the qualifications above will be asked to complete a fact-checking test. From there, select candidates will be asked to do a remote interview.
The GIST is strongly committed to diversity and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
The GIST strives to make our entire hiring process as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities. For any recruitment related accommodation needs and/or requests please contact us via e-mail.