While this role is not currently open, The GIST is constantly evolving and changing. We love having a roster of writers that we can work with on a freelance basis, with the intention of moving into a more permanent part-time or full-time role.
Ready to help level the playing field? The GIST is looking for a knowledgeable, passionate and witty editor to join our content team. If you’re interested in joining a collaborative team environment and flexing your sports knowledge and editing muscles, we want to hear from you.
In this role you’ll have a significant impact on The GIST’s sports newsletter and/or college sports vertical, providing copy edits and feedback to our newsletter writing team.
The GIST is a women-founded startup that creates sports content, experiences and community that are by women and for all sports fans through our free, localized 4x-weekly newsletter, 3x-weekly sports biz newsletter, 3x-weekly college sports newsletter, daily social media and twice-weekly podcast. The GIST will be expanding into college sports news this summer.
Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Since launching across North America in September 2019, our community has grown to over 1M GISTers, we have worked with brands like the NBA, FanDuel and Under Armour, and our co-founding team was named to Forbes 30 Under 30 2020.
Want to join our team? We hope so. Here’s more on the role:
Role: Part-time (~4-6 hours/week)
- Regular hours are Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings (in ET)
Reports into: Head of Content (HOC) and/or Developmental Editor
Location: Remote, North America (US preferred)
What you’ll be doing
- Editing and fact-checking assigned sections for the Monday, Wednesday & Friday edition of The GIST’s 4x-weekly sports news newsletter or 3x-weekly college sports newsletter in accordance with The GIST’s editorial standards
- Responsibility will include up to five sections
- When required/assigned, editing and fact-checking sections for The GIST’s special edition newsletters and/or Sunday Scrolls
- Working closely with The GIST’s HOC, developmental editor, fellow editors and writing staff
- Contributing ideas to continually improving The GIST’s written content
- Contributing to the constant upgrade and improvement of our editorial guidelines
- Have the opportunity to edit additional content including branded content, longer-form articles, guides, deep dives and interviews
- Have the opportunity to grow into a bigger role with The GIST
- Other duties as required
What you’ll need
- Significant editing experience of at least two years is preferred
- Experience editing in a newsroom setting is an asset
- Experience editing sports journalism is an asset
- Undergraduate degree in Journalism, Editing, English, or a similar field
- Expert in writing with the American Style Guide
- A flexible Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday night (in ET) schedule, because sports
We’re looking for someone who...:
- Has strong editing, spelling and grammar skills.
- Must have the ability to rewrite content/make suggestions
- Has experience working toward a deadline, and can work quickly, efficiently and accurately
- Is a strong communicator to work well with your newsletter team
- Has strong journalistic integrity including fact-checking
- Has a collaborative and sports-loving spirit
- Values hard-work and teamwork
- A quick and resourceful learner who can thrive in a fast-paced, evolving startup setting and is able to grow with the company
- Has a passion for leveling the playing field in the sports industry
What we offer
- The opportunity to be part of a women-founded and operated, hard-working, growing and fun team that is leveling the playing field in the sports industry
- An opportunity to improve and polish The GIST’s key product, our newsletter
- An opportunity to make edits to a broad spectrum of sports and cities
- An opportunity to grow as an editor and into a larger role with The GIST
- Competitive wage
- Flexible vacation
Are you picking up what we’re putting down? We hope so. So, what’s next?
Send us your resume as well as short (~ two sentence) answers to the questions below to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: The GIST - Newsletter Editor 2023 - Your Name.
- Why would you be an asset to The GIST?
- What are the three most important things to look for while editing/fact checking content?
- In reading our newsletters, are there any bigger picture edits that you would have suggested had you been the editor? Or have you noticed anything that we consistently do that you would do differently?
- What vertical (sports biz, sports news, or college) are you most interested in?
Candidates with the most applicable answers and resumes based on the qualifications above will be asked to complete an editing test. From there, select candidates will be asked to do a remote interview.
The GIST is strongly committed to diversity and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
The GIST strives to make our entire hiring process as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities. For any recruitment related accommodation needs and/or requests please contact us via e-mail.